Front Yard Landscaping Story: Fresh Start
The existing front yard of this home was filled with large over-grown material. Windows on the home were covered. There was a lack of seasonal color. The front lawn is very wide and the existing driveway is quite far from the front walkway. Our goals were to:
– Create curb appeal
– Utilize any existing material with value
– Establish a connection from driveway to front walkway
– Provide plantings for seasonal interest
- Masonry/Stepping Stones
All existing plant material was removed except for a Japanese Maple that was transplanted to a more prominent location. Our design solution included re-shaping the existing planting beds to allow ample space for the combination of new evergreen and deciduous plant material. The plants were chosen to create a mixture of color throughout the spring, summer and fall seasons.
Evergreen plants were strategically placed to create coverage for the winter and compliment the flowers through the seasons. By creating a larger bed on the left side of the home, we were able to install an irregular bluestone stepping stone pathway that connected driveway to the front walkway.
- A specimen Japanese maple was transplanted to create a focal point in the front left bed
- A combination of Ilex crenata ‘Compacta’ and Buxus ‘Winter Gem’ were installed along the foundation of the home for year-round coverage
- A tall Ilex ‘Nellie Stevens’ and Rhododenron ‘Roseum Elegans’ were used to create screening for the homeowner’s garbage cans and to accent the new stepping stone path
- Hydrangeas and carpet roses were placed in areas to create bold impacts of color throughout the summer
- Reliable perennials such as Astilbe, Liriope, and Hemerocallis were used to compliment the larger flower shrubs and create impact along darker evergreens.
This home’s old and overgrown front plantings got a fresh makeover with lots of color. The new front foundation planting gives the residence an inviting entry and welcomes their guests with a beautiful garden to enjoy.
WHAT THE CLIENT SAID
“We were so happy with Hicks in all phases of our project to update and redesign our front landscaping. They were attentive to budget, expressed preferences and came up with a beautiful design to replace our overgrown and outdated existing landscaping. We loved the outcome and would definitely recommend!”
– Adrienne S.
Let's Start a Conversation
Fill out the inquiry form on this page or call 516-334-0068 to speak with a member of our staff.
You can also stop by the Landscape Inspiration Center building in the tree & shrub yard at Hicks Nurseries during store hours.
Thank you. We look forward to hearing from you!